CPD Mechanics of Equity Markets
SA EQUITY MARKET ONLINE COURSE : (FPI 3 CPD points)
FPI Approval no: FPI 21060081
Course Objective: Equities investments and trading are a vital capital market activity. This short course will primarily explain the mechanics of equity markets in general, with specific reference to the South African example. A thorough analysis of listed companies, the economy and other influencing factors as a prerequisite for sound and profitable investment decisions will be handled in a separate course.
- Listings– why do companies list on stock exchanges
- Stock exchanges as the market place for listed equity counters are explained with reference to the various South African exchanges.
- The types of stock exchange systems that are used in the world and the various methods of order executions
- Types of shares that can be traded and their differentiating features.
- Corporate actions explained in terms of event types and rationale
- The pivotal role and functions of a Central Securities Depository
- Share indices explained and demystified with special reference to local and important international indices.
- The types of orders that can be placed by brokers on an exchange
- Securities lending defined and clarified in detail with examples
- A short differentiation between Equity, Debt and Loan Instruments
An in depth knowledge of equity market mechanics, as well as clarification of terminology should lead to a better appreciation and efficient use of the structures available.